Friday 9 January 2015

The Promise Of Seeds, A Thoughtful Gift

You know barely has Christmas day passed when I start once again looking forward to the gardening year!


I often begin to look at seeds during January, in fact, it has been known for me, given half a chance to contemplate seed catalogues on Christmas Day itself! 


 2,000 Seeds, Wildflower Mixture "Dryland" (20 Species) Seeds By Seed Needs 


Well, my excuse is that if sometimes I get money for a gift I like to spend it on something for the garden.


 It is generally too cold and frosty to be buying and planting out anything this time of year so seeds are a good option to either start off now somewhere a bit warmer or to keep until you can start to sow.


 To a non-gardener it might seem a little strange to get all excited over packets of seeds and seriously wonder if they really would make a good gift. However, to many gardeners, I think a packet of seeds means promise and joy and looking forward to the future. I have several times been given the gift of a pot and several packets of seeds and I loved it!

 I love wildflowers and due to the decline of wildflowers in our countryside because of building and crops and pollution etc I do feel that it is a good thing if gardeners can be involved in making  maybe just a little patch of the garden a wildflower place. With wildflowers come bees and butterflies and all manner of insects that help the garden and are lovely to have.


There are literally thousands of different types of seeds and seed combinations. What you can grow may depend on where you live and what your soil conditions are so rather than recommend one type of seed please search for a seed type that you love.


For me, I like a wildflower mix, a riot of colour and different types of plants. I also want to attract bees and butterflies so I look for that now in plants and flowers too. Then there are seeds that you can plant for specific colour and type of season, sun or shade conditions.


We must expect that not every seed will germinate but should get a decent rate of return on a seed packet. Often the details on amazon will state the anticipated rate of germination. Of course, all seeds will need sowing and looking after properly but all instructions are there on the packet. The world really is your oyster when it comes to seeds!

So if you are looking for a gift for yourself or a gift for someone you know loves to sow and propagate plants seeds may be a welcome present!

To sow seeds you generally need the following items such as a fork, garden trowel, watering can, labels, rake and gloves. Seeds may be sown into well-prepared ground or into a window box or pot. If I was growing wildflower seeds I would do both, some into the soil and some into pots.


Now if I was giving or receiving seeds as a gift I think I would also include a  pretty or useful pot to plant the seeds into, just to make it extra special. Seeds are often relatively inexpensive so its nice to team them up with another gift.


With a pot you can choose a variety of price points and type and style from whimsical, to classic, funny to useful and practical. It is really up to you what you think the person you are buying for would like most.


If you like this post please share.   If you like this post please share and do consider joining us on Diary Of A Wild Country Garden Community Facebook Page


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment.